On Tuesday, we took a quiz and added up the points to find out our own unique and individual learning styles. I was taken aback when I was tied with both T and D at 37 points each. To somebody not familiar with these tests, The D stands for Doing/Experimental and T for Thinking/Conceptualizing.
For the most part, I agree with this... but was a little bit surprised that I didn't score higher on Feeling. Which, was my second place learning style by 30 points. I'm understanding, creative and I like to solve problems. I'm very empathic and as far as creativity goes, I enjoy writing poetry and prose. Above all, I feel this is one my strongest characteristics because I'm empathic to an uncanny degree. (Seriously, it's awful. Waterworks galore. Or just picking up on people's vibes even strangers without even conversing with them.) Perhaps, even though this is one of my characteristics, it doesn't have to be the style in which I learn... but it still makes me question, why? Or I wonder if I rushed through my quiz and wasn't quite as honest as I could have been. I'm not very good under pressure.
The impression I got from the definition of 'do-ers' and 'thinkers' is that they're good at Math. I have horrible Math anxiety and I ask entirely too many questions. For example, I got so frustrated in my Math 098 class that I started to panic and became very flustered when Professor Murphey couldn't explain if "Area is always squared... then why not always write it out as A squared... and why is it always squared?" So far, I've gotten 2 B's and a C on my Math quizzes and they really are always just silly mistakes because my brain works faster than my hands and I'll write things down incorrectly... meanwhile, the correct answer is in my work shown just not written down on the answer. When it comes to geometry and formulas, I have to make associations for memory; "circles are always pies... because pies are circles. If you look at the Area of a triangle the formula is an upside down triangle... just don't forget to add your little 2." My brain literally black holes. I hate math.
As far as what I'll agree with in the 'doing' aspect of my learning style. I do take a lot of risks and I get things done, in my personal life and in school. I love thinking up theories but my self esteem is so little that I couldn't possibly bring them about and apply them or tell other people about them. I'm a leader and a lot of people think it stems from a kind of arrogance but I actually just don't think other people's ideas are effective and I'm probably the loudest one in a group always. (Mostly, that has to do with impulse control though, in my humble opinion.)
For thinking, I just realized that I've been breaking down this test in my head the entire time and analyzing my answers in a way that can be seen as harsh criticism. I'm a perfectionist in nearly every aspect of my life... as a mother, as a daughter, in my relationships and in my school work. Therefore, everything I think about or learn has to be nearly perfect and I should be able to define things and figure them out on my own. Also, I have this uncanny thought that everything should be easy. It's not very logical or practical and is quite detrimental for my self esteem as it puts too much pressure on me. I know it's a recipe for failure in the long run. However, I think it's helpful when you're solving problems or doing deductive reasoning. I guess that instinct and knowledge will be best suited for making quick decisions that could save a life. (Like in the nursing profession.) Since I haven't started my nursing classes yet... practicing for the NCLEX has been solely based upon my deductive reasoning. And 90% of the time, I'm right. But is that really thinking or does instinct play a huge role? You decide.
****
I have to stop thinking about this now, or else my head will explode.
No comments:
Post a Comment