
"When there's no more room in Hell the dead will walk the earth."-Dawn of the Dead (God, I love that movie soooo sooooo soooo much!) Anyway! So AMC has recently picked up The Walking Dead television series, which is based off of the comic books by Kirkman and Moore. Anybody who knows me, should know that THIS is fantastic news for me, as I'm obsessed with the comic series. I found out from a friend that it'll be premiering in October. October! So soon! I almost drove off the road with excitement but then as I normally do, I start to over analyze things.
If you haven't read the comic one thing you should know is it's absolutely bizarre and fucked in some of the worst ways. Of course, there is the anticipated gore brought on to you by the undead... but the most disturbing occurrences of violence are not at the hands or jaws rather, of the undead but of the living. This is going to be a huge obstacle to leap over for AMC, I believe because of the controversy involved with some of these acts of violence.
I won't go into detail but these facts will be somewhat of spoilers. You know how every year they have the Horrorfest where they premier 8 controversial and supposedly too creepy for regular cinema movies for a week in select states? (It has to be the same for television and I think even television has stricter guidelines than movies.) So here are my suspected controversies.
Chi'ren.
I remember one that I saw called Reincarnation. Like most Japanese horror movies, it was creepy but I couldn't find the controversy behind it. As it turns out? You're not allowed to show kids being murdered in movies. You can show the car coming... you can hear the thud... and after the fact you can see the little hand under the vehicle but you're not supposed to show them actually being killed. (In Reincarnation, we see a little Japanese boy get stabbed several times by a man, over and over again.) Not only do children get massacred in The Walking Dead comics but they also contribute to the killing, of not just zombies... but themselves. There is a scene where you walk into a prison cell, and you see two little girls with their heads ripped off gurgling and gasping eyes rolling into the back of their heads. Although, the actual act isn't shown here... I wonder how they're going to pull of scenes like that.
Da SeX
I honestly, wouldn't mind if they toned the sex down. I generally skip over those parts of the comics anyway. It's the end of the world, right? And there are definitely SLIM pickins. Plus, I'm all about the violence and the heart break. That's just how I roll. But yeah, of course everybody is having sex.
DAYUM!
Lastly, I think the main point in controversy is going to be about the degree of violence and what is actually salvageable to keep in sync with the story line. For example, Michonne is a katana swinging, zombie killing... 'you don't fuck with me, or I will dismember you' kind of bitch. She gets raped several times by this sadistic governor of a town, who coincidentally is keeping his 6 year old zombie daughter locked up in his house. (He also collects trophy heads of people he tortured and keeps them on display in his house.) He's a sick bastard, and I don't even want to talk about what he does with his daughter, or how he tortures the people, because it's like re-reading American Psycho when Patrick Bateman is nailing his girlfriends hands to the floor after he rips off her tongue and skull fucks her. Anyway, in volume 6, specifically issue 33 Michonne gets her revenge on him with a series of atrocities, involving a power drill, a blow torch and a spoon... I'll just leave you with one of the lesser of the atrocities... she castrates him. This scene in particular and the overall raping of Michonne can definitely be left out of the television series but in the same respect, a lot of the book deals with torturous activity to this degree and I foresee a lot of it being watered down by AMC.
Zombie Fans?
To hardcore zombie fans... although, the zombies are everywhere, it is not a book about zombies and the initial cause of the problem. The series is mostly about the corruption of man, and how he will adapt when everything is taken away from him. People lose sight of their conscience... and rely soley on their id to survive. Oh, and not to mention there is a lot of cheesy romantic shit in there but I guess that's how you can get your lame babe friends who don't like zombies to watch it with you. But yeah, of course... zombies pop out every other page, and it's going to be really, really interesting to see them film 'herd' scenes and I can't wait to see little zombie children, because even though it isn't really funny... it so is!
Anyway, I have to cut this short... Sid will be waking up soon. (As a zombie.)
edit: i say controversy a lot and there are a lot of typos. for those who have something to say about it? i say get over, i haven't slept and my fingers are trying desperately to keep up with the excitement in my brain. had i been delivering this spiel orally... it would have at least been entertaining and animated, albeit redundant at times, so... ha! i just get excited... and this as i've said before... to those who aren't familiar with the series...
What's it about, you say? Well, obviously... the zombie apocalypse has arrived! A dream come true, for dorks like me... who thrive on 15 year old boyishness. From a supposed 'realistic' standing point, this is what would really happen to humans, people start to realize the things they took for granted in the lives they once had. It's all about survival, people and for those who want to be prepared, you can learn a few things from these stories.
I like it because the humans are super vulnerable and nobody really possesses any super human powers, aside from Michonne, who is a super awesome katana swinging, zombie slaying babe who talks to her dead boyfriend. More than the cheesiness that we often times find in a lot of zombie movies, this series takes a turn into the kind of disturbing you learned about in psych 101... even beyond. It's holocaust you see... but not just at the hands of the dead... the living too. Everybody is losing their minds. The action sequences will leave your eyes widening and you thumbing as fast as you can through the pages.
No comments:
Post a Comment